We are delighted to offer you the opportunity to audition for our upcoming show, The Musical of Musicals: The Musical!
The Musical of Musicals: The Musical! is a musical about musicals! In this hilarious satire of musical theatre, one story becomes five delightful musicals, each written in the distinctive style of a different master of the form, from Rodgers and Hammerstein to Stephen Sondheim.
The basic plot: June is an ingenue who can’t pay the rent and is threatened by her evil landlord. Will the handsome leading man come to the rescue?
The variations are: a Rodgers & Hammerstein version, set in Kansas in August, complete with a dream ballet; a Sondheim version, featuring the landlord as a tortured artistic genius who slashes the throats of his tenants in revenge for not appreciating his work; a Jerry Herman version, as a splashy star vehicle; an Andrew Lloyd Webber version, a rock musical with themes borrowed from Puccini; and a Kander & Ebb version, set in a speakeasy in Chicago.
We are currently on the hunt for the perfect performers to play the following roles:
- The villain, “Jitter” – Male, the landlord figure of each musical who demands the rent be paid or another form of recompense offered.
- The hero, “Billy” – Male, the leading man and romantic interest who, in the end, valiantly offers to pay the rent, whether he can or not.
- The ingenue, “June” – Female, the leading lady who cannot pay her rent.
- The matron, “Abby” – Female, the older woman to whom June turns for advice, always with the words “Thank you Abby, that was so helpful”.
To submit your audition, please complete the form below including a link to an audition video. This video should include you performing as you would on stage to the camera a 16-20 bar snippet from 2x songs, each from a different composer from the list below.
- Rodgers & Hammerstein
- Stephen Sondheim
- Jerry Herman
- Andrew Lloyd Webber
- John Kander & Fred Ebb
- The first round of auditions is to be submitted by video, any required subsequent auditions will be held in person at an available date.
- Performances will be held at the New York Theatrette in Redfern, (1 minute walk from Redfern station)
- Rehearsals will be held in Marsfield (10 minute walk from Macquarie University station)
- Production week is the 11th-17th of November 2019, you will be required to be at the theatre from 7pm each night and from 3pm on the final Sunday.
- Please note that this is an unpaid production, any and all profits will be reinvested into the show and future productions.
- Online auditions close at 10pm 21st July.
- If you have any questions regarding this casting announcement, please don’t hesitate to contact email@example.com